We use affiliate links. If you purchase something using one of these links, we may receive compensation or commission.
Are you interested in learning more about SARM side effects? We’ll take a look at these powerful muscle-building agents and determine what the side effects are.
What are SARMS?
SARMs are a special class of drugs known as selective androgen receptor modulators. They basically are like steroids but highly targetted on the growth of skeletal muscle only. They avoid growth in areas we don’t want such as organ tissue. Think of anabolic steroids like the high beam on your car and SARMs as a laser pointer that you can aim at specific objects.
SARMs have become very popular lately because of their insane muscle-building properties without the side effects of anabolic steroids. They have very few side effects compared to steroids but some side effects still exist. These side effects are generally mild and most seem to go away on their own after you stop taking the SARM.
These drugs exist in a legal grey area of the law that allows researchers to purchase the drug for clinical trials and laboratory research.
Positive Side Effects of SARMs
First, we’ll talk about the reason many people are interested in taking SARMs, the positive side effects. There are many beneficial symptoms that come along with SARM usage. Here are a few:
- Major increases in muscle mass and strength in a rather short period of time.
- Increases rate of muscular recovery from breakdown such as rigorous workouts.
- Increased protein synthesis which helps to build more muscle.
- Supercharged metabolism. The ability to burn fat while also building muscle.
- Increases in bone density and strength.
- Enhanced sex drive and sexual stamina.
- They don’t have many steroidal-like side effects.
- It’s fairly safe if used in the recommended dosage range.
- SARMs can be stacked to increase the effects of the drugs.
Potential Negative Side Effects of SARMS
Like all drugs, SARMs have their own negative side effects. These can range from more severe to mild. When compared to other muscle-building drugs like anabolic steroids, SARMs have fewer side effects that are less impactful. Most of these side effects go away on their own after you stop taking SARMs. Some of the general side effects of SARMs include:
- Visual Disturbances – This side effect doesn’t seem to have occurred in clinical trials, but many users are self-reporting visual problems like blurred vision or yellow tint to the visual field. These side effects are reported to go away when you stop taking the drugs.
- Suppression of Natural Hormone Levels – Most SARMs bind to androgen receptors in the body. This causes the natural production of testosterone to halt. Even when you stop your cycle your hormone levels may not recover. You can try to jump-start your hormones using Post Cycle Therapy (PCT) with a PCT supplement. However, in some cases, the shutdown of testosterone is more severe and it requires proper PCT. This is similar to the PCT that a steroid user would do. Something like 50mg of Clomid for 2 weeks and then 25mg of Clomid for 2 additional weeks. That should get your hormone levels back on track.
- Hair loss – Some people have are predisposed to hair loss in their family could experience some hair loss when using certain SARMs. This is one of the side effects that are similar between SARMs and anabolic steroids. Baldness seems to be associated with androgenic substances like steroids so it’s not as common in users of SARMs but we wanted to mention it.
- Gynecomastia – Also commonly referred to as “bitch tits”. This is the development of unwanted breast tissue in men. However, most SARMs do not convert to estrogen so the risk of developing gynecomastia seems to be very slim. If for some reason you do experience this side effect you will want to immediately start PCT with something like Nolvadex or Clomid.
- Liver Damage – Oral compounds can increase the risk of liver damage due to the way they are ingested and converted into the bloodstream by the liver. Some users will see elevated liver enzymes if they get their blood work done while on a SARM cycle. This is also common in oral steroids. One way to help mitigate this risk to take a liver support supplement when you’re on a SARM cycle.
- Erectile Dysfunction – It doesn’t seem very common and is rarely reported but there is some potential for ED associated with SARM usage. This should go away after the cycle but may you may require PCT to fully recover.
What Type of SARMs are Available?
There are several different type sof SARMs available on the market and they may affect each individual differently. Here is a list of the SARMs we cover on this site. Take a look at the article for each of these to determine which on is the best for you.
- GW-501516 (Cardarine)
- LGD-4033 (Ligandrol)
- MK-2866 (Enobosarm/Ostarine)
- MK-677 (Nutrobal)
- RAD-140 (Testolone)
- S4 (Andarine)
- SR9009 (Stenabolic)
Are There Alternatives to SARMs?
Some people have been marketing SARMs as a supplement, but let’s be sure to call them what they really are: very powerful drugs. Like all drugs SARMs have side effects. If these side effects are scaring you that’s OK. Not everyone is ready to jump into the world of SARMs. The good news is that there are some SARM alternatives available on the market that can help increase muscle growth and strength. These testosterone boosting supplements may not have the same drastic impact that a SARM would but they are fully legal and relatively safe.
|Enhanced Athlete Arachidonic Acid - Muscle and Strength Booster - Preserve Muscle and Boost Protein Synthesis - 350mg x 120 Capsules||Prime||Buy Now|
|ANDROSURGE Estrogen Blocker for Men - Natural Anti-Estrogen, Testosterone Booster & Aromatase Inhibitor Supplement - Boost Muscle Growth & Fat Loss - DIM & 6 More Powerful Ingredients, 60 Veggie Pills||Prime||Buy Now|
|Prime Labs - Men's Test Booster - Natural Stamina, Endurance and Strength Booster - 60 Caplets||Prime||Buy Now|
|Ultimate Test Booster for Men - Male Enhancing Pills - Enlargement Supplement - Men’s High Potency Endurance, Drive, and Strength Booster - Increase Size, Energy, Fat Burner - 60 Caps - Made in USA||Prime||Buy Now|
|Tribulus Terrestris 1500MG Extract Powder - Testosterone Booster with Estrogen Blocker - Arazo Nutrition USA - 180 Capsules||Prime||Buy Now|
|Testosterone Booster for Men - Made in USA - Men Testosterone Pills with Horny Goat Weed - Mens Testosterone Booster for Muscle Growth, Desire & Energy Increase - Tongkat Ali Capsules||Prime||Buy Now|
|Natural Testosterone Booster For Men 9200mg with Ashwagandha, Tribulus Terrestris, Panax Ginseng and others For Estrogen Blocker, Male Enhancing, Endurance, and Strength-Gluten Free 60 Veggie Capsules||Prime||Buy Now|
|Test Boost Advanced Dietary Supplement - Male Enhancement Formula - Powerful Stamina, Strength, Energy & Endurance Supplement - Supports Healthy Test Training & Natural T Levels - 60 Capsules||Prime||Buy Now|
|Testosterone Booster for Men - Estrogen Blocker - Supplement Natural Energy, Strength & Stamina - Lean Muscle Growth - Promotes Fat Loss - Increase Male Performance (1 Bottle ) 90 Capsules/Pills||Prime||Buy Now|
|Ultra High Strength Tribulus Capsules - 95% Steroidal Saponins - 1300mg Concentrated Extract Formula - The Strongest Testosterone Booster Available - 120 Caps||Prime||Buy Now|
|Nugenix Total-T: Men's Total Testosterone Boosting Formula. All New, High Potency, High Bioavailibility Testosterone Boosting Ingredients. Helps with Energy, Muscle, Libido, Stamina, and Drive||Prime||Buy Now|
|LEAN Nutraceuticals Md Certified Testosterone Booster for Men Supplement Natural Actives Metabolism Booster Muscle Builder Tongkat Ali, Tribulus Territis, Horny Goat, Dhea, DAA, Fenugreek 90 Caps||Prime||Buy Now|
|Testosterone Booster for Men - Men Testosterone for Health, Energy & Stamina - Made in USA - Male Testosterone Enhancement with Horny Goat Weed, Tongkat Ali- Muscle Mass Testosterone Supplement||Prime||Buy Now|
SARMs are very effective at building muscle and increasing strength. They also have other great effects like increasing bone density and speeding up your metabolism. They have relatively few side effects when compared to anabolic steroids, but they are not completely free of side effects. Most of the side effects can be considered mild but some are more severe. For the most part, the side effects go away when you stop using the drugs. However, some of the more severe side effects require proper Post Cycle Therapy (PCT) to alleviate.
Take caution when deciding to use SARMs to increase your athletic performance. Just be aware of the side effects and watch out for them when you start taking your SARM. It’s also advisable to start with lower doses and then work your way up to see when you start to experience the side effects.